[Updated Saturday, April 30]
Bringing peninsula neighborhoods together through fun community events was one of the first things the South Baltimore Peninsula Post did back in 2020 in the early days of the pandemic. Remember the “Chalk It Up SoBo” sidewalk art challenge? The “O Say Can You See SoBo?” scavenger hunt?
Now with Covid restrictions in the rearview mirror, the Peninsula Post, and its parent nonprofit organization, South Baltimore United, are hosting our first in-person event – I Love SoBo Day – to advance our mission of connecting South Baltimore neighborhoods and the people who live and work here.
I Love SoBo Day combines a few of our previous activities with a kaleidoscope of new ones. There is something for everyone on May 1! See details below.
And be sure to check back often, as we expect to be adding more events and vendors in the coming weeks!
I Love SoBo Day
A celebration of this great place and an opportunity to bring the many neighborhoods of South Baltimore together for some fun with family and friends
Sunday, May 1 (rain or shine)
9am to 12:30pm
Baltimore Museum of Industry outdoor pavilion, 1415 Key Highway
Free and open to the public
Activities & Vendors
- Shop local from several “SoBo Made” businesses and Peninsula Post advertisers:
- Codetta Bakeshop
- Diamondback Brewing Company
- Good Dog Designs
- Pfefferkorn’s Coffee
- Sugar Boat Goods
- Body In Rhythm Training
- Say “cheese’” and be part of the first-ever photo portrait of the peninsula! We’ll take your photo, assemble everyone’s into a huge mosaic, and print out free poster-size copies of the Peninsula People Photo Mosaic for everyone who participates
- Enjoy Kids Activities galore, sponsored by the Baltimore Museum of Industry and the PTOs from Francis Scott Key Elementary/Middle School, Federal Hill Preparatory School, and Thomas Johnson Elementary/Middle School.
- Savor goodies from local Food Vendors including:
- Wicked Good Sweets with breakfast sandwiches, muffins, coffee from Koba Cafe, and lemonade
- Sobeachy Haitian Cuisine with rice bowls and your choice of chili, sausage, chicken, or veggies
- Miss Twist soft ice cream – 11:30-12:30
- Pick up Neighborhood Resources and chat with representatives of community groups, including Federal Hill Main Street, Riverside Neighborhood Assoc., Locust Point Civic Assoc., Federal Hill Neighborhood Assoc., and South Baltimore Neighborhood Assoc.
- Get ready for “Chalk It Up SoBo 3” sidewalk art challenge with some Free Chalk provided by Key Group of Cummings & Co. Realtors
- Start your day with a Total Body Community Workout for all adults with Rachel Wagner of FIT4MOM Baltimore City. Register online in advance (space is limited). – 8:15-9:00
- For the 3 and under set (and their parents & caregivers), sit under the Pavilion and enjoy stories and playtime with Mr. Cork of Sprocket Learning – 9:15-9:45
- Get out on the water with Downtown Sailing Center, which is offering a limited number of free one-hour Sailboat Tours to SoBo Day visitors, ages 8 and older on a first-come basis (weather permitting) – 9:30 & 10:30
- Explore the peninsula and win prizes with a SoBo Scavenger Hunt. We have one for the extreme competitor, one for the casual player, and one for kids (see details below) – 9:30-11:30
- Test your SoBo knowledge (and win prizes) with a Trivia Contest conducted by trivia master, tour guide, and Baltimore booster extraordinaire Chris Riehl – 11:30-12:00
3 SoBo Scavenger Hunts
So how well do you know SoBo?
Find out this weekend with one of our “I Love SoBo Day” Scavenger Hunts and win prizes! Play solo or with a team. There’s a Hunt for everyone – even kids (ideal for middle schoolers).
Here’s how to play …
THE BIG HUNT – You have 24 hours to complete this Hunt that will take you all over the peninsula. Most of the challenges will ask you to record your finds with selfies of you or your team, so have a cell phone ready. The Prize Drawing takes place at 12:15 pm Sunday at the Baltimore Museum of Industry pavilion.
To enter, send an email to email@example.com with your name and the names of your team no later than Friday, April 29. We’ll send you Hunt instructions at 11:30 am sharp on Saturday, April 30. You have 24 hours to complete the Hunt. Bring your finds no later than 11:30 am Sunday to the Peninsula Post table at the Baltimore Museum of Industry pavilion.
Prize Drawing: First Place receives a $75 gift card to a SoBo eatery of your choice. Second Place receives a $40 gift card to a SoBo eatery of your choice. Third Place receives a $20 gift card from Federal Hill Ace Hardware.
THE LIGHTNING HUNT – You have just 2 hours to complete this Hunt starting at 9:30 am Sunday, May 1. Printed instructions will be handed out at the Peninsula Post table in the Baltimore Museum of Industry pavilion at 9:30 am sharp.
Most of the challenges will ask you to record your finds with selfies of you or your team, so have a cell phone ready. Bring your finds back to the Peninsula Post table by 11:30 am to be entered in the Prize Drawing at 12:15 pm.
Prize Drawing: First Place receives a $50 gift card to a SoBo eatery of your choice. Second Place receives a $25 gift card to a SoBo eatery of your choice. Third Place receives a $20 gift card from Federal Hill Ace Hardware.
HARBOR HISTORY HUNT – This Hunt is designed for middle schoolers and families with children and takes place entirely on the grounds of the Baltimore Museum of Industry near the pavilion. Much of the Hunt is based on outdoor historical information posted near the pavilion.
Pick up Hunt instructions between 9 am and 11 am at the Peninsula Post table in the front of the pavilion. Return completed Hunts to the same table by 11:30 am for a Prize. (Note: No cellphones needed for this Hunt.)