Last spring, the residents of South Baltimore – from Sharp-Leadenhall to Locust Point – took to their sidewalks in an explosion of color and creativity during the “Chalk It Up SoBo Sidewalk Chalk Challenge.”
The free-form weekend event was so much fun and the chalk art so amazing that the South Baltimore Peninsula Post and Key Group of Cummings & Co. Realtors have teamed up again to host Chalk It Up SoBo 2 on the weekend of April 23-25.
Like last year, this will be a COVID-safe, socially distanced event with free chalk for peninsula residents. But this year we have added a Prize Drawing for gift cards to your favorite peninsula eateries.
Here’s how to get involved:
WHAT: Second Annual South Baltimore Sidewalk Chalk Challenge
WHEN: Friday-Sunday, April 23-25, 2021 (rain dates April 30-May 2)
WHERE: The sidewalks and stoops of the peninsula
- On Saturday, April 17, pick up a box of free chalk courtesy Key Group of Cummings & Co. Realtors between 10am and 2pm (while supplies last) at these locations: Federal Hill Park (entrance at Warren & Riverside), Latrobe Park (entrance at Fort & Towson), Riverside Park (entrance at Randall & Covington), and Solo Gibbs Park (entrance at S. Sharp & W. Henrietta).
- Create your chalk art any time between Friday April 23 and Sunday April 25.
- To enter the prize drawing, take a photo of your chalk masterpiece and email it along with your name and address to the Peninsula Post (email@example.com) before 5pm on April 25.
- The prize drawing will take place Sunday at 7pm. Prizes, courtesy of Key Group of Cummings & Co. Realtors, are gift cards to an eatery of your choice anywhere on the peninsula: First Place, $50; Second Place, $25; Third Place, $10; and Fourth Place, $10.
- Throughout the weekend, post photos of your chalk art on social media tagged #ChalkItUpSoBo. Peninsula Post staff will be posting photos from around the neighborhood on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter all weekend long.
Want some inspiration for Chalk It Up SoBo 2? Take a look at some of the phenomenal creations by SoBo residents last year.
And many thanks to Locust Point chalk artist extraordinaire Jenn Perry of Violet’s Daughter for our Chalk It Up SoBo 2 masterpiece! – Steve Cole, Peninsula Post staff